Monday, July 8, 2013

Clear Lake, IA

Blog It July Day #8
What does your ideal cabin look like?

My family doesn't have a cabin, and none of my extended family does either, but when I was little we spent many long weekends in Clear Lake, Iowa. My parent's friends, Kriss and Martha, invited us to join them at Martha's familiy's cottage there. They have two kids who are about the same age as my brother, which made me the baby by about six years.(That's a lot when you're eight and the others are 14.) Sometimes my parents let me bring a friend along, but even when they didn't, I always had a blast.

Favorite Clear Lake activities included tubing, sailing, going to movies, board and card games (see Blog It July Day #5), ice cream at the drug store, croquet, and treasure hunts created by Kriss and Martha's daughter for my benefit.

It's also relevant to mention that I occasionally draw house plans for fun. Sometimes I've tried to draw plans for vacation homes, but no matter what I do, it always ends up looking like the Clear Lake cottage in the end. Not because that house is especially nice, but because that is the house where I learned what it means to go to "the cabin." To me, it is the perfect vacation home.

My rough version of the cottage's first floor
(I tried to find a photo, but I couldn't, so instead you get this.)

No comments:

Post a Comment