Monday, July 15, 2013

Nancy Drew

Blog It July Day #15
What do you do when you need to unplug, de-stress and stop thinking about the world?

There are two general answers to this question for me: comfort books and comfort TV.

Comfort TV includes (obviously) Avatar: The Last Airbender, along with a few other cartoon shows and the show Psych. I also have a few comfort movies, including Tangled, Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, and Midnight in Paris.

One of my favorites
(gotta love that cover art!)
Comfort reading is a bigger category. Of course it includes Harry Potter and many other favorites, but the one I want to focus on is Nancy Drew.

I came late to Nancy Drew - I first read one of the books during college - which is actually great, because it means that there are still many Nancy Drew mysterious I've never read. At the same time, the books are formulaic enough that I know exactly what I'm in for, and I know Nancy will always come out on top. Plus, Nancy's world is pretty simple. It's all spontaneous vacations and convertibles and picnics and dances. I don't really want to live in that world, but it's a perfect escape when I need to relax. Also, I enjoy keeping track of the number of times the word "attractive" is used (which is, invariably, a lot of times).

Lately I've been experimenting with The Boxcar Children, but it just isn't the same.

1 comment:

  1. I love Midnight in Paris! And you're right about the books, I have all kinds of different comfort books--some are simply comfort chapters!

    ReplyDelete