Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Meat of the Matter

Blog It July #18
Something you wish you didn't have to admit.

I really wish I could come up with a great reason not to be a vegetarian. Usually, I say that I eat meat because I am border-line anemic and sometimes I really need the iron, and because I don't think it's any more inherently wrong for humans to eat animals than it is for animals to eat each other. Those are both true. Nevertheless, we all know that the main reason I eat meat is because meat is delicious.

The primary reason I see not to eat meat is the environmental impact of the meat industry. It's kind of insane. Really. Transportation, storage, processing... the meat industry creates a huge amount of pollution, and the resulting products contain many less-that-natural chemicals. (I've also heard that it's healthier to be a vegetarian, but I don't know if that's necessarily true. At the very least, it's up for debate.)

I wish that I didn't have to admit that I find eating meat in our society to be morally questionable - but that I eat it anyway.

Then again... yummmmmmmm.


No comments:

Post a Comment